Friday, November 2, 2012

Late, I know.

Apologies for not posting yesterday as promised. I got a little absorbed in my work (as usual for me).
But I'm proud to announce that I'm making a bit of a risky endeavor with my current work:

Making a customized engine for La Mondo.


Don't get me wrong. I'm not abandoning RPG Maker entirely. And I will be using it to see how I want events workings and to test battles and such. It's a handy program that, while not perfect, can be customized nicely with enough knowledge of Ruby.

The problem here is that I'm still learning Ruby. While there are pre-made scripts in the official and unofficial RPGVX communities, many of which are free for non-commercial and a couple for use in commercial products, I want to have control over the game and mechanics - and since I'm still fuzzy on Ruby, that means that there are really great features that I need to tweak just a bit to reach what I'm trying to get. And I currently lack the knowledge to do that and the time needed to get that knowledge. I'm still a student, you know.

So, I'm working on writing it myself. I'm currently still on the GUI, but I've been making okay progress. The mechanics are actually one of the easier things to code, since battle and damage are more based on equations. The engine is being written in Java (since it's what I'm most familiar with) using the NetBeans IDE.

Check back later for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment